Thursday, 4 July 2013

Azaan.


What beauty lied between the pillow and her lips, in that space where her breath lived warm before going cold; in the scent of her black tresses over her bosom as though the seas had foamed over mountains; in the curve of her pelvis that moonlight slept upon when she slept upon her side?
My eyes, too poor a device,
to see, all the deluge in the sea
God liked hiding beauty in women that they themselves could not see. And to us wretched men, He gave half a sight, half a nose, half of hearing, that we may discern its existence but never grasp it. When I traced the silhouette of her body against the rising sunlight - Allahu Akbar - I felt a calm in my bones. When I raked her unruly locks with my fingers -  Allahu Akbar - I felt the need for a supplication. His plot, ash-had an-la ilāha illallah, was revealed. I wondered if the muezzin knew what I knew as he was calling them to prayer. That her every curve, hayya 'alas-salah, every lock, hayya 'alal-falah, her every mystery that was veiled and unveiled, was His azaan to me.

10 comments:

  1. Wow.
    This is phenomenal...Is this part of your novel,too? Blown away, as usual. I love the way you've woven the Azaan with your own call to your love. Fantastic writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) yes, it might be. There was a point when I used to wake to the azaan because the mosque was within my sight. And I used to wonder, what it would be to wake beside a woman when the call came. It's always been special to me.

      Delete
  2. "And to us wretched men, He gave half a sight, half a nose, half of hearing, that we may discern its existence but never grasp it."

    Brilliant writing here. I am now feeling very curious about what those words of the Azaan mean, so will have to go and research that as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And did you? Find out what they mean?

      Delete
    2. I did! Irrelevant but, the sound pf the words goes very well with your writing, both together create great imagery.

      If you studied the meaning, your usage may even be considered inappropriate...

      Delete
    3. Thank you :) - I didn't weave it because of the cadence - that came after I decided to do so. I realise some could consider it inappropriate - but it is appropriate to me, having known what it means even before I knew what prayers of my supposed religion meant.

      Delete
  3. Great writing although a shallow and ignorant understanding of the azaan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely.

    Despite (or perhaps not) being the granddaughter of an imam, I've always struggled with faith.

    My Azaan too, is found in the beauty of the created.

    It is getting harder to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In unsuspecting days, sometimes, after the lights go out, you may glimpse it upon a stage taking the semblance of another. You see it..

      And you ought to thankful that you got to see what many others couldn't.

      Delete